THE SAFEGUARD VALIDATION DATA-SETS [3 December 2012]
As part of the EU FP7 SAFEGUARD project
(contract 218493), a series of five semi-unannounced full-scale assembly
trials were conducted at sea on three different types of passenger
vessel. From these trials five passenger response time data-sets were
collected and two full-scale validation data-sets. The two
Validation Data-Sets (SGVDS) were generated from assembly trials
conducted on a large RO-PAX ferry (RP1) operated by Color Line and a
Cruise Ship (CS) operated by Royal Caribbean International – SGVDS1 and
All the information required to specify
SGVDS1 and SGVDS2 and the recommended procedures to follow to analyse
the data-sets can be downloaded from this website.
of the evacuation modelling community are invited to make use of both
SGVDS1 and SGVDS2 to evaluate evacuation modelling tools. By making use
of this material you agree to abide by the following usage terms and
- Whenever work is published (typically, but not exclusively, in
academic journals, conference proceedings and reports), which is
based in-part or wholly on SGVDS1 or SGVDS2 the following citations
to the reference material must be made:
E.R., Deere, S., Brown, R.,Filippidis, L., Two Evacuation Model
Validation Data-sets for Large Passenger Ships, SNAME (The
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers) Journal of
Ship Research, Vol 57, number 3, pp155-170, Sept 2013,
- Brown, R., Galea, E.R., Deere, S.J., Filippidis, L., Passenger Response Time Data-sets for Large Passenger Ferries and Cruise Ships Derived from Sea Trials,
Transactions of the Royal Institution of Naval Architects,
International Journal of Maritime Engineering, Vol 155, Part A1,
pp 33-48, 2013.
- Deere, S.J., Galea, E.R., Filippidis, L., Brown, R., Data Collection Methodologies Used in the SAFEGUARD Project to Collect Human Factors Data, RINA SAFEGUARD Passenger Evacuation Seminar 30 November 2012, ISBN No: 978-1-909024-08-3.
- In addition, the following references to IMO INF
papers concerning the data sets can also be made:
- When the above noted work is published or reported in the public
domain, an electronic copy of the publication should be forwarded to
one month of it appearing in the public domain. Where available a
DOI for the publication should also be provided.
- The provided publications will be cited on the VALIDATION web
page, together with the DOI of the publication.
- If the software tool FSEG_VALIDATION_ASSESSOR is used to assess
the degree of agreement with the validation data-set the following
citation must be made in any work that is published (typically, but
not exclusively, in academic journals, conference proceedings and
reports) utilising the assessment: